NPS digital products are a major part of every staff member’s and visitor’s experience each day, and the NPS continues to excel in providing new and innovative ways to use digital tools to enhance what we do.
The new “Bison Bytes” is a series to highlight excellent digital work in the NPS. This quarterly series shares great examples of projects from across the NPS digital experience, including NPS.gov, the NPS App, InsideNPS, social media, and more to recognize and inspire our many talented staff working in digital. Check out the first five projects we highlighted and our five new selections in more detail on the Digital Community Page of Inside NPS.
- The Flat Hats at Home video series – Created and produced by a team of park guides and park rangers at Redwood National and State Parks in the first months of pandemic lockdown in 2020 for kids, parents, and educators schooling from home.
- Public Service Recognition Week E-Grams – Designed to celebrate the amazing work our colleagues and coworkers do every day during Public Service Recognition Week 2022 through a simple e-gram style message, with customizable (and 508-compliant) images and messaging.
- Remembering Revolution – NPS App and web-based, self-guided walking tour of the Bunker Hill Monument and grounds in Charlestown, Massachusetts. This interpretive program explores the memory and motivations of three soldiers who fought at Bunker Hill on June 17, 1775, and more.
- The Places of Latino LGBTQ Gathering Spaces site, which is mainly on the CMS, showcases themes of cultural intersectionality through the stories of real locations, large and small, that have helped bring together communities.
- Voices of Science is a series of audio stories that focus on science and conservation practices in the National Park Service, with a focus on Hawaiian parks. Stories span a range of species, ecosystem, cultural, and conservation topics.
Do you know of some great web, social media, or app content you’d like to see featured in the next round of Bison Bytes? You can submit it for consideration using this Nomination Form. To be considered for the next round of Bison Bytes, submit your nomination by COB Wednesday, November 9.
Important Note: This is meant to be a fun way to recognize excellence in NPS digital use, and to support and inspire one another. It is not an official award program. We may reach out to content creators to help them meet some requirements to be featured.
Learn more about Bison Bytes Volume 2 projects