WHAT is Wilderness Basics?
The Wilderness Basics Toolkit is an online resource available for parks, regions, and/or programs to use when developing the Wilderness Basics for any wilderness area (designated or other categories of wilderness). The Toolkit is a collection of templates, examples, and other resources to develop Wilderness Basics in a park.
Chapter 2 of Keeping It Wild in the NPS: A User Guide to Integrating Wilderness Character into Park Planning, Management, and Monitoring identifies the Wilderness Basics as:
- Wilderness Background Information
- Park wilderness legislative history (designated)
- Park wilderness study history + current status (lands managed as wilderness)
- Wilderness area GIS map
- Wilderness Character Narrative
- Issues for Future Wilderness Stewardship Planning
This is a dynamic, evolving tool. Updates to the Toolkit will be made to this site as needed – please check back often.
Having trouble viewing the Toolkit? We recommend using Bison Connect/Chrome to view the toolkit. Review these instructions for optimizing your use of the Toolkit.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE TOOLKIT?
Contact Erin Drake, Communications + Outreach Specialist – WASO Wilderness Stewardship Division.