In this TED Talk, musician Bobby McFerrin uses the pentatonic scale to exemplify human expectations in the context of neuroscience. Use this fun, short video to explore a variety of leadership principles.
What You’ll Learn
After completing the work on this page, you will be able to:
- Recognize the relationship between trust and desired outcomes
- Describe leadership styles that resonate with you
- Create a simple definition of leadership
- List exemplified leadership competencies
- Know the advantages and disadvantages of expected and non-expected behaviors in the context of leadership
After watching the video, reflect on the following questions. Jot down your thoughts. Consider sharing this video with a colleague or a work group for an insightful discussion.
- How does Bobby McFerrin demonstrate leadership in this video?
- How does Bobby McFerrin establish trust with the audience? How much time is needed to establish this trust? How important is trust to accomplishing the desired outcome?
- Based on the video, develop a simple one-sentence definition of Bobby McFerrin’s leadership style. How does this style resonate with you? What leadership styles do you prefer/not prefer?
- Using the 2007 Office of Personnel Management Competency Dictionary, Proficiency Levels for Leadership Competencies, list all of the leadership competencies that Bobby McFerrin exemplifies in this video. Choose one or two of these competencies and discuss how Bobby McFerrin uses them to achieve the desired outcome.
- What happened when Bobby McFerrin split his legs between two notes? How did he recover and re-establish leadership? Discuss expected and unexpected behaviors in the context of leadership. What are the pros/cons of each?