The primary purpose of the Victim Assistance Program (VAP) is to serve victims of crime. The VAP ensures victims are advised of their rights, given access to services, and treated with dignity and respect. Victim assistance is a cooperative effort which will result in better investigations. In addition, these procedures will assist victims in recovering from their injuries and losses to the fullest extent possible, consistent with available resources.
Commissioned personnel will make their best efforts to inform crime victims of their rights. Additionally, LEOs will provide information on available resources and assistance in accordance with policy and procedures here established to ensure compliance with applicable laws.
What you’ll find
This list of resources will help you carry out your VAP duties:
- 2016 NPS VAP Checklist for LEOs
- 2016 NPS VAP Brochure – Fillable Version
- 2016 NPS VAP Financial Impact Statement
- Creating Victim Reports in IMARS
- DOI Victim Assistance Manual ROLES
- NPS Victim Assistance Services TEMPLATE
- Victim Assistance Services EXAMPLE GRTE
- RM 9 Chapter 28
- Victims Rights and Services Information Sheet
- Special Considerations Vulnerable Victims