One of the premier women’s history sites in the country, the Belmont-Paul Women’s Equality National Monument, maintains an extensive collection of suffrage banners, archives and artifacts documenting the continuing effort by women and men of all races, religions and backgrounds to win voting rights and equality for women under the law.
Belmont-Paul is the repository for the National Women’s Party (NWP) collection. This collection contains the nation’s first feminist library, books, political cartoons – all produced primarily by women, about women.
The house has stood strong on Capitol Hill for over two hundred years. Early occupants of the house participated in the formulation of Congress and witnessed the construction of the US Capitol and the Supreme Court. In 1929, the National Woman’s Party (NWP) purchased the house, and it soon evolved into a center for feminist education and social change. For over sixty years, the trail-blazing NWP utilized the strategic location of the house to lobby for women’s political, social, and economic equality. Today, the Belmont-Paul Women’s Equality National Monument tells the compelling story of a community of women who dedicated their lives to the fight for women’s rights. The innovative tactics and strategies these women devised became the blueprint for women’s progress throughout the twentieth century.
What you’ll find
- Online collections including Congressional voting cards, photographs, scrapbooks, and artifacts
- Permanent Exhibit with more than 250 pieces
- Blog with NWP’s role in American history and online exhibits