Positivity is an underutilized, powerful resource. In this short video, Brian Johnson distinguishes the difference between rational and irrational optimism as gleaned from the book Broadcasting Happiness: The Science of Igniting and Sustaining Positive Change by Michelle Gielan.
What You’ll Learn
After completing the work on this page, you will be able to:
- Recall the difference between rational and irrational optimism
- Recall the difference between rational and irrational visualization
- Know the meaning of “WOOP” and how it helps bring your vision to fruition
Watch the Video
After watching the video, reflect on the following questions. Jot down your thoughts. Consider sharing this video with a colleague or a work group for an insightful discussion.
- Are you a rational or an irrational optimist? How does this affect your goals, your work, and others around you?
- Recall one of your current goals. Apply the “WOOP” philosophy to it. Are you closer to the “Wish” or the “Plan” end of “WOOP”? How can you move your goal closer to actualization (the “Plan”)?
NOTE: The Rational Optimism video ends at 2:50. All further content is an advertisement for additional videos.