Being a new employee during an ongoing pandemic can be stressful for many. The NPS Fundamentals Program is committed to providing opportunities for you to build your professional and personal development during this time. As we look at current training options and potential new ones, we are committed to using technologies that allow us to reach employees at any location while looking forward to resuming our residential courses.
Note: The following resources are open to all NPS employees, volunteers, and partners.
The NPS and You: An Introduction to the National Park Service Webinar
Join us as we explore foundational concepts that contribute to the success of all employees, volunteers, and partners to meet the mission of the National Park Service. During this two-hour webinar we’ll look at the what makes a unit nationally significant and build connections between the work you do and the mission of the National Park Service. Learn more and register for the webinar.
Welcome New NPS Employees Resources Webinar
This interactive 1-hour webinar covers where and how to obtain on-boarding resources you need to be successful in your new NPS career. This webinar is open to all new NPS employees—permanent, term, and seasonal employees and is offered monthly.
NPS Fundamentals Essentials
Are all parks the same? How is the work divided? How are the sites managed? What do the different divisions do? Known as “Essentials,” these topics provide insight into how the National Park Service manages the entire system of parks and programs to accomplish its mission. Reading through each topic gives an overview at the most basic level with opportunities to link to more in-depth, specific information.
- Stewardship (Article)
- Operations at a National Level (Article)
- Culture (Learning Activity)
- Law and Policy (Article)
- Networking (Learning Activity)
- Volunteers (Article)
- Teamwork (Learning Activity)
- Partnerships (Learning Activity)
- Working with Other Agencies (Article)
- Planning (Learning Activity – coming soon!)
- Interpretation and Education (Article)
- Visitor and Resource Protection (Article)
- Facilities Management (Article)
- Resource Management (Article)
- Commercial Services (Article)
- Administration, Business Operations, and Information Technology (Article)
- Relevancy, Diversity and Inclusion (Learning Activity)
- Preventing and Addressing Workplace Harassment (Article)
- Safety and Wellness (Article)
NPS Core Values Article
The NPS core values are commitments – or deeply held beliefs – for how we, as employees, accomplish the NPS mission. Core values influence how we do our work, how we interact with each other, and how we are recognized as an agency both internally and externally. In this interactive article from GOAL academy, read more about NPS Core Values and reflect on their role in the work you do.
History of the National Park Service Self-Paces Course
In this online course, you will learn about the ideas that formed and transformed the National Park Service, the people who supplied those ideas, and the laws that shaped the NPS.