We all have unconscious attitudes and beliefs that affect our decisions and actions. These unconscious attitudes, or implicit biases, are developed over our lifetimes and are influenced by everything from our childhood experiences to what we see in the news. Implicit biases can affect our feelings about other people based on their race, ethnicity, age, appearance, gender and/or sexual orientation without us ever being aware of it.
However, we can unlearn our implicit biases. MTV’s Look Different Project, created in partnership with the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity, aims to help people overcome their implicit biases through activities that identify and question unconscious beliefs.
What You’ll Find
- Common types of implicit bias
- Implicit Bias Association Tests – identify your potential areas of privilege and biases
- Seven Day Bias Cleanse – daily tasks to help you begin to shed your gender and racial biases
- Narratives on how biases affect our every day lives and how our actions affect those around us
- Tips on what to say when you see bias or discrimination
- Go Deeper – additional resources, videos and calls to action
- All of us have implicit biases we aren’t aware of. Did the results of the Bias Association Tests surprise you and how will you act on those results?