The LMPT is the result of a Curriculum Development Conference (CDC) that was conducted at the FLETC in February 2005. Participants in the CDC were the U.S. Park Police (USPP), National Park Service (NPS), U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), U.S. Forest Service (USFS), Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), and the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS). As a result of the CDC, the U.S. Park Police Integrated Training Program (USPPI), National Park Ranger Integrated Training Program (NPRI) and the Natural Resources Police Training Program (NRPT) were dissolved. The LMPT pilot was conducted at the FLETC, Glynco, in the fall of 2005 and remains the staple law enforcement training academy for the National Park Service at the FLETC.
The LMPT is designed to meet the entry level training needs of law enforcement officers responsible for protecting natural resources and public lands. Core courses include training in areas such as conflict management, hazardous material (HAZMAT) awareness, emergency response driving, report writing, basic marksmanship, drugs of abuse, federal criminal law, arrest techniques, and other law enforcement duties in urban, suburban, rural and remote areas. The training also includes scenario based training conducting laboratory and practical exercises in simulated field settings such as trail heads, hunting and wildlife viewing areas, camping zones, and marijuana cultivation locations. Trainees also conduct a Continuing Case Operation where a violation of law is taken from its inception, prosecution, and culminating with courtroom testimony.
- For the National Park Service, only employees maintaining positions as “Park Ranger (P) – 0025” are eligible to attend the LMPT.
- Other Department of the Interior agencies may require eligibility requirements that differentiate from the NPS. If you are seeking employment with a non-NPS entity, please contact their Human Resources office for further guidance.
Chief Rangers or Supervisors can use this form to enroll a newly hired employee onto the FLETC waitlist.
- LMPT 2001 – 10/07/2019 – 02/11/2020
- LMPT 2003 – 12/09/2019 – 04/09/2020
- LMPT 2004 – 02/10/2020 – 06/05/2020
- LMPT 2005 – 04/20/2020 – 08/14/2020
- LMPT 2006 – 06/08/2020 – 10/02/2020