The Leadership Revolution (L-REV) is a profound personal and professional development experience devoted to growing your essential skills in a variety of leadership competency areas while maximizing “serendipitous people collisions” across the agency. This program is in its pilot year and is open to Interior Regions 1 (NER/NCA), 6/7/8 (IMR), and 8/9/10/12 (PWR). Will you be part of the revolution?
After participating in the immersive L-REV experience, you will be able to:
- Investigate and grow your leadership abilities
Explore your essential skill “baseline” or where you are at now. Appreciate your strengths. Comprehend the power of your talents and influence.
- Cultivate meaningful relationships
Expand your professional network. Accomplish meaningful work with a vast mix of colleagues. Maximize serendipitous social collisions.
- Sharpen your knowledge and skills in 6 leadership competency areas
Dive deep into 6 essential life skills with a variety of learner-driven activities aimed at moving the needle on your own personal success in these areas.
- Advance organizational happiness and success
Achieve consequential project work. Inspire others through your own self-development. Influence the culture. Be part of the revolution!
Who can participate in L-REV? The Leadership Revolution is in its pilot year and is open to all employees in Interior Regions 1 (NER/NCA), 6/7/8 (IMR), and 8/9/10/12 (PWR).This means any grade. Any park unit. Any discipline. Supervisors and non-supervisors. Any status (permanent, full –time, seasonal, temporary, subject to furlough, career conditional, you-name-it). Really and truly, this is one of the most inclusive leadership development programs offered by the NPS.
Who is best suited for L-REV? NPS employees who are:
- Passionate about learning and self-improvement
- Enthusiastic about connecting with others
- Committed and available to complete the required work
- Surrounded by a conducive learning environment inclusive of supervisory approval
- Eager to make a positive organizational impact
If this sounds like you, then you are a great candidate for this program!
Selection is based on a lottery style system. All “complete and thorough” applications are entered into the lottery and participants are selected using a number randomizer. A “complete and thorough” application is one that explains the importance of this program to your personal and professional life and makes the connection to how your participation benefits the NPS organization.
- Time Commitment: 1-2 hours per week for 40 weeks
- Format: All virtual
- Technology Requirements: government computer, reliable internet, NPS email, OneDrive, MS Teams (video and microphone), VPN, access to Common Learning Portal
- Blended Learning: self-paced assignments, small group work, large group video calls, class project work, assessments
- Number of Seats: 100 (initially 100 and growing over time to 250)
- Cost: Free
- Module 1 – Welcome + Introduction (2 weeks)
- Module 2 – Leadership Competency 1 + Project Work (6 weeks)
- Module 3 – Leadership Competency 2 + Project Work (6 weeks)
- Module 4 – Leadership Competency 3 + Project Work (6 weeks)
- Module 5 – Leadership Competency 4 + Project Work (6 weeks)
- Module 6 – Leadership Competency 5 + Project Work (6 weeks)
- Module 7 – Leadership Competency 6 + Project Work (6 weeks)
- Module 8 – Final Projects + Closeout (2 weeks)
Formula for Each 6-Week Module
- Week 1 – Learn (absorb concepts, ideas, theories, and practices)
- Week 2 – Apply (use, practice, employ, and demonstrate your learnings)
- Week 3 – Discover (identify, locate, and explore new material)
- Week 4 – Teach (share, explain, instruct, and coach someone else)
- Week 5 – Assess (quiz, examine, review, and test yourself)
- Week 6 – Project Work (immerse yourself in collaborative, meaningful, constructive projects)
Meet the L-REV Family! There are 4 different L-REV experiences – one per year – each with its own set of 6 leadership competencies and unique project work. You are invited to participate in one of these or as many as you like. Each one results in its own completion certificate.
L-REV: Audacity “Calculated Boldness”
This experience will begin in FY22 (Fall 2021 – Spring 2022). Registration opens May 2021. Competencies covered will include:
- Creativity and Innovation
- Conflict Management
- Customer Service
- Oral Communication
Project Work: Architect a Consequential Moment
Note: This is the first year of the program and is considered a pilot.
L-REV: Sagacity “Perceptive Consciousness”
This experience will begin in FY23 (Fall 2022 – Spring 2023). Registration opens May 2022. Competencies covered will include:
- Developing Others
- Written Communication
Project Work: Broaden Your Network
L-REV: Tenacity “Constructive Agitation”
This experience will begin in FY24 (Fall 2023 – Spring 2024). Registration opens May 2023. Competencies covered will include:
- External Awareness
- Team Building
- Problem Solving
- Political Savvy
- Continual Learning
Project Work: Shift the Culture
L-REV: Veracity “Habitual Authenticity”
This experience will begin in FY25 (Fall 2024 – Spring 2025). Registration opens May 2024. Competencies covered will include:
- Strategic Thinking
- Leveraging Diversity
- Interpersonal Skills
- Public Service Motivation
Project Work: Empower Your Leadership Presence
The L-REV online open enrollment process occurs once a year in May during which applications are accepted within a 4-week window.
Registration period for FY22 L-REV-Audacity “Calculated Boldness”:
- Registration Opens: Monday, May 3, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. Mountain Time
- Registration Closes: Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. Mountain Time
- Review the FY22 Leadership Revolution Handbook (links to a pdf) to understand the participant expectations, group agreements, schedule and more. You must be on VPN to access.
- Open the FY22 LREV Application Preview (links to a pdf) and prepare your responses in advance of submitting them online in the next step. You must be on VPN to access.
- Submit your responses at FY22 Leadership Revolution Application (links to a MS Form).
What Happens Next?
After the open enrollment period closes, the L-REV program manager compiles the applications and identifies participants based on a lottery-style system using a number randomizer. Final participant selections are announced via email by the end of June.
Thank you for your interest in the Leadership Revolution!