This course provides an overview of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and its implementation by the National Park Service. The course will explore NEPA’s legal and policy foundation and address what actions trigger NEPA requirements. The course also provides a brief introduction to methods for documenting NEPA planning and compliance, including categorical exclusions, environmental assessments and environmental impact statements.
Upon completion of the course, you should be able to:
- Identify sources of NEPA guidance applicable to the NPS and describe what actions trigger the need for NEPA compliance
- Identify the key elements of the NEPA process
- Describe the different methods for documenting NEPA planning and compliance
- Describe the basic requirements for preparing categorical exclusions, environmental impact statements and environmental assessments
NPS professionals who:
- Sponsor projects that may trigger the need for NEPA compliance and documentation
- Contribute information to NPS environmental assessments or environmental impact statements or review external agency NEPA documents
- Are seeking an in-brief NEPA overview
Instructor led; 8 hours
There are no upcoming sessions of this course scheduled at this time.