The NPS Learning & Development community gathered from August 23 – 25, 2016 at the Forging our Future: The Next Century of L&D training. Dr. Allison Rossett of Allison Rossett & Associates delivered this presentation providing some clarity around informal learning and how to asses whether informal learning is right for your organization.
Nailing Jelly to the Wall – when the Jelly is informal and Formal Learning. Thought leaders advocate for more informal learning. But what is this thing called informal learning and what might it mean for your organization? What about the far less popular and overwhelmingly more prevalent, formal training What are these forms really and in what circumstances are they most appropriate?
What you’ll learn
Dr. Rossett provided the following handouts and an online tool for reference.
- YinYang Tool – An interactive assessment tool to evaluate whether informal or formal learning are a better choice for an organization
- Engaging with the New eLearning – a whitepaper about trends in eLearning
- The Yin and Yang of Formal and Informal Learning – an 8 page handout about informal learning
- Performance Analysis: Getting it right the First Time – A three page handout about analyzing and adjusting informal learning resources
Watch the Video
After reviewing the session materials, please consider the following reflection questions:
- What specific things could you do to add more informal (in Allison’s terms more “Yin”) to your efforts?
- What are some formal learning strategies which still provide some variety from classroom training?