Are you interested in learning more about historic preservation in national parks? Come join our Historic Preservation Fundamentals Learning Series. You’ll learn about the significance, integrity, character, treatments, and documentation involved in working with historic properties. Please complete all of the learning activities below in order and earn badges along the way.
Note: Some of the learning activities listed below are currently unavailable. We are working to update them and will bring them back online over the next few weeks.
- Section 1: Significance, Integrity, and Character-Defining Features
- Section 2: Historic Property Treatment
- Section 3: Applying and Documenting Treatment Actions
- How can I be a Historic Preservation Fundamentals Rockstar?
Section 1: Significance, Integrity, and Character-Defining Features
In this section you can learn about what makes a place historically important, how to recognize qualities and characteristics that express a property’s history, and determine elements that should be saved.
- Historic Property Significance
- Historic Property Integrity
- Character Defining Features of a Historic Property
- Explore the National Register of Historic Places
Earn the Section 1 Badge
When you complete Section 1, you will receive the following badge:
Section 2: Historic Property Treatment
In this section you can learn about the techniques, skills and approaches for working on historic properties.
- Secretary of the Interior’s Standards and Guidelines for the Treatment of Historic Properties
- Identify Specific Historic Property Treatments
Earn the Section 2 Badge
When you complete Section 2, you will receive the following badge:
Section 3: Applying and Documenting Treatment Actions
In this learning activity, you will learn how to use relevant, site-specific, resource documents to obtain background information on property history, significance, integrity, and treatment objective. Coming soon!
- Working with Historic Properties
- Preparing for and Documenting Historic Preservation Work
- The Thomas Farm: A Historic Preservation Case Study
Earn the Section 3 Badge
When you complete Section 3, you will receive the following badge:
How can I be a Historic Preservation Fundamentals Rockstar?
If you complete all of the learning activities for each section, you will earn the following badge: