This 8.5 X 11 printable color poster defines the overall rights and responsibilities of employees (to accomplish their work) and supervisors (to accomplish work through others); it is derived from CFR, HR Bulletins, codes of conduct etc.
The poster succinctly defines expectations of federal employees and supervisors. This may be the first time that your work as a federal employee or the work of your staff is explicitly stated.
Using this poster as a communication tool can assist you in managing your staff. A primary role for a supervisor is to set expectations and reinforce them. Assuming that people clearly understand their roles as a federal employee and your role as a supervisor without you expressly explaining it to them can lead to confusion, conflict, or other situations. Even if someone is a long term employee, they might not have been on-boarded appropriately.
How to Use This Resource
- Share this poster with your staff during orientation and on-boarding
- Review this poster during performance meetings
- Post the poster in a public location
- Use the poster as the basis of a tailgate meeting, discussion, or to help set expectations
- Training Requirements for Supervisors
- Learning Support For Supervisors
- How to Managing People (in progress)
- How to Managing the Work Environment (in progress)
- How to Managing Resources- Physical, Financial, & System/Process (in progress)
- Additional Resources For Supervisors from OPM Framework for Supervision Development (in progress)