Eligibility & Requirement
If you have been on-boarded as a new permanent supervisor [coded as a 2,4, or 6 in supervisory status in the Federal Personnel Payroll System (FPPS)] within the past 12 months (Detail positions do not qualify), you are required to fulfill your first 40 hours of training to prepare you for the position, regardless of whether or not you attended supervisory training at another agency. This course fulfills that requirement except for the 4 hours of EEO training that must be completed independently (contact your regional EEO manager for assistance). Before new supervisors can attend the three day residential Supervisory Skills Workshop, they must take eight online skills modules and follow the nomination and assignment process described in the procedures below.
I want to enroll. What is my first step?
If you are a new supervisor first entering into a permanent supervisory position (detail, seasonal time is not counted towards the first 12 month eligibility), contact your Regional Employee Development Officer (EDO). Regional EDOs prioritize the names of supervisors who wish to apply to the program (see step 4 below). If you don’t know who your regional EDO is, review your region’s CLP page as shown.
- The Learning and Development Office, Leadership Development Program will call for nominations from regions to fill slots for the Supervisory Skills Workshop (SSW), ideally at the training facility closest to your region. The number of slots assigned to the National Park Service will be divided between the regions and assigned to designated sessions, in coordination with Employee Development Officers (EDOs).
- The NSDP Acting Training Manager (Laura Congdon) and EDOs will screen employees for eligibility.
- The EDOs will then prioritize the names of supervisors based on a first-come first-served basis and availability of regional slots in each class.
- EDOs will contact participants, and the participants’ supervisor, of their nomination. They will advise the participant to complete the prerequisite distance learning courses prior to attending the 3-day residential Supervisory Skills Workshop (SSW).
- EDOs will send their prioritized list to Laura Congdon, Acting Training Manager, via email.
- Accepted nominee(s) will receive logistics information with an account number to charge all travel costs and enroll in DOI Talent for the Supervisory Skills Workshop (SSW).
Pre-Requisite Online Modules
These eight courses can be taken in any order prior to attending the Supervisory Skills Workshop.
- The Role of the Supervisor / DOI-SUPV-OLT-101
- Merit System Principles / DOI-SUPV-OLT-102
- Supervisory Ethics / DOI-SUPV-OLT-103
- Managing Employee Performance / DOI-SUPV-OLT-105
- Conduct & Performance Based Actions / DOI-SUPV-OLT-106
- Leveraging Diversity / DOI-SUPV-OLT-107
- Pay and Leave for Supervisors / DOI-SUPV-OLT-109
- Supervisory Safety Skills / DOI-SUPV-OLT-110
Please contact Laura Congdon, the New Supervisor Development Program acting Training Manager, via email with any questions.