Diversity is great…but not without inclusivity. In this Harvard Business Review article, professor Christine Riordan reveals the benefits of pairing diversity with inclusion and explores four reasons why many organizations lack inclusivity.
What You’ll Learn
After completing the work on this page, you will be able to:
- Recognize the organizational benefits of diversity
- Define what an inclusive environment means
- Comprehend the importance of pairing diversity with inclusion
- Recall four factors that work against inclusiveness
After reading the article, reflect on the following questions. Jot down your thoughts. Consider sharing this video with a colleague or a work group for an insightful discussion.
- What is the difference between diversity and inclusion?
- According to the author, a diverse environment is useless without inclusion. Name one or two reasons why coupling diversity with inclusion is so important.
- Consider your workplace. Which, if any, of the four dynamics that work against inclusiveness are in play at your workplace? How does this affect organizational systems and goals?
- Name one or two ways you can improve inclusivity in your workplace.
NOTE: There is a limit of viewing 4 online articles per month at Harvard Business Review without a paid subscription. If you click on the link to this article, it will count toward your limit.