Management and leadership aren’t easy. Especially if you are new. Everyone has to start somewhere and this article by Kiely Kugalowski for Business News Daily delineates some of the characteristics that successful leaders overwhelmingly demonstrate.
What You’ll Learn
After reading the article and watching the videos, you will be able to:
- Recognize the characteristics of a good leader and consider how to improve them in your role
- Understand the importance of collaboration
- Consider the importance of clear and receptive communications
- Realize that demonstrating your willingness and ability to learn to your employees can have profound impacts on your team
- Know the six behaviors to avoid
- Recognize the importance of continual learning, development, and mentorship for both yourself and your team
After reading the article, reflect on the following questions. Jot down your thoughts. Consider sharing this article with a colleague or a work group for an insightful discussion.
- Are you welcoming and embracing collaboration with your people?
- Do you focus on employee growth? Are you constantly looking for ways to help your people develop to the best of their ability?
- Are your communications clear, understandable, and focused? Do you willingly accept feedback?
- Do you ensure that your employees are recognized and appreciated? Does each individual know their significance to the team?
- Do you fall into the six “behaviors to avoid” too often?
- Are you looking for ways to improve yourself? Do you have a mentor or trusted person who can be honest with you and point out areas in which you need to improve?
Here’s more to spark your thinking on this topic:
- More TED Talks! 7 more videos about leadership and how to improve your skills.