The Forging Connections Audience Centered Experiences Train the Trainer Course develops training and coaching skills for those who provide interpretive training in their parks. Participants will focus on training for audience-centered experiences (ACE) and the Foundations of 21st Century Interpretation competencies. Participants will attend the basic ACE course (40 hours), and complete the additional self-study modules before and after the classroom course (16 hours) to complete their Train-the-Trainer requirements (total 56 hours).
During the classroom portion of this course, participants will see examples of training sessions and experience pop-up dialogic experiences that showcase personal and non-personal audience-centered techniques. In the self-study modules, participants will adapt/develop lesson plans using adult learning principles to help relay these skills to the front-line staff in their parks. Participants will learn valuable training and coaching strategies to guide their seasonals, volunteers, and other front-line staff to engage visitors in new and exciting ways.
By the end of this train-the-trainer course, participants will be prepared to incorporate audience-centered interpretive skills into park training in the following ways:
- Identify and articulate to others the purpose and potential of parks in society
- Identify and articulate to others the ways audience contributions help enrich experience
- Instruct/coach others in how to craft open-ended dialogic questions
- Instruct/coach others in how to write or select an essential, generative question that connects park story to a current issue
- Instruct/coach others in how to choose and use Audience Centered Techniques
- Elicit audience contributions through interactive techniques
- Listen to, learn from, and respond to audience contributions
- Provide learning opportunities for others through a variety of learning ecosystem options