Overview For FMLP Mentors
The Facility Manager Leaders Program Course of Study is the development of Facility Managers to lead responsible stewardship and protection of the assets of the National Park Service. This award winning curriculum is designed to develop and strengthen the knowledge and competencies of selected employees through a year-long education and training program that proactively builds capabilities in asset management, operations and maintenance, project management, resource stewardship, business management, supervision and leadership.
Effective mentors are fundamental to the success of the program. FMLP Mentors are trained and qualified by the Facility Management Program (FMP) Training Team each year. Annual mentor training activities include:
- residential training,
- distance education, or
- a combination of the two.
Experienced facility managers, NPS leaders, superintendents, and experts in particular fields are essential assets to the FMLP. Recruitment of mentors is a critical duty that requires the support of regional chiefs, PFMD staff, and experienced facility managers servicewide. Mentors are actively recruited and are required to submit an application through the Department of Interior’s learning management system.
This year long course is a competency based training opportunity. Attendance at three classroom sessions with instruction and practical application of supervision and leadership topics is required. The latest advances in Facilities Management are reviewed, providing the mentors with sufficient knowledge to assist in their protégé’s development. Other covered topics include, but are not limited to:
- Instruction in writing skills and techniques
- Mentoring skills
- Lateral leadership
- Critical analysis of written materials
For FMLP Class 14 (2020-2021) mentors will be required to travel to the following classes:
- Principles of Asset Management class – May 4-8, 2020
- Advanced Facility Management Practice (AFMP) class – October 26-30, 2020
- Capstone Study in Facility Management class (graduation) – April 12-16, 2021
Additionally mentors are required to host their protégé at their park or office for a two-week developmental activity during the summer of 2020. Finally, throughout the year-long course mentors will be required to attend two monthly webinars, maintain weekly communications, and review the work of their protégé.
Mentoring can be a significant time commitment. Please review these requirements before you decide to apply.
To Apply for the Mentor Program
The application period for the FMLP Mentor Program for class 14 began October 1, 2019. Applicants should register in DOI Talent before January 3, 2020. All application materials are due by January 10, 2020. To apply for the FMLP Mentor Program:
- Register in DOI Talent for the FMLP Mentor Program-Supervision Practices in Facility Management course. DOI Talent registration closes on January 3, 2020.
- Select the class on the Scheduled Classes tab and register.
- Applicants will be placed on the Waitlist in DOI Talent until selections are made.
- After registering you will receive an email with an application package, and instructions for completing the application process.
- All application materials should be submitted by January 10, 2020.
- Mentors will be selected in March.