Know a great leader? What sets their leadership apart from the rest? According to Travis Bradberry, who is the co-founder of the emotional intelligence training company TalentSmart, great leaders embody 6 critical behaviors that make their leadership remarkably effective.
What You’ll Learn
After completing the work on this page, you will be able to:
- Know that improving leadership skills is within your control
- Recognize that great leadership is dynamic
- Recall 6 critical characteristics that great leaders exemplify
After reading the article, reflect on the following questions. Jot down your thoughts. Consider sharing this article with a colleague or a work group for an insightful discussion.
- Name one person in your life who demonstrates great leadership. (If you cannot think of any great leaders in your own life, name any leader – current or historical – who demonstrates great leadership).
- In your own words, what makes their leadership so remarkable? Which of the 6 behaviors mentioned in this article does this leader demonstrate?
- Which of these 6 behaviors do you demonstrate? How can you leverage this trait to be even more effective in the workplace?
From Harvard Business Review, here’s more to spark your thinking on this topic:
NOTE: There is a limit of viewing 4 online articles per month at Harvard Business Review without a paid subscription. If you click on the link to any of these HBR articles, it will count toward your limit.