What does strategic thinking entail and why is it so important? After two decades of advising organizations, author Paul Schoemaker in this Inc. article reveals six capacities that effective strategic thinkers have and how strategic thinking can lead to windfall opportunities.
What You’ll Learn
After completing the work on this page, you will be able to:
- Know the definition of an adaptive strategic thinker
- Recognize how strategic thinking leads to company success
- Recall 6 things that adaptive strategic thinkers do well
After reading the article, reflect on the following questions. Jot down your thoughts. Consider sharing this article with a colleague or a work group for an insightful discussion.
- Name 2 to 3 benefits of strategic thinking.
- In your own words, what is an adaptive strategic leader?
- Reflect on each of the 6 skills of an adaptive strategic leader. Which of these is already inherent in your own skill set? Which do you need to further hone?
NOTES: At the end of the article, there are options to 1) watch a related short video that provides a real life example of strategic thinking in play and 2) take an assessment to gauge your personal strategic aptitude. You can find the assessment at decisionstrate.com and it requires providing your contact information.