What is the secret to happiness? In the Ted Talk, Hailey Bartholomew, a mother, wife, and artist reveals the answer to this commonly asked question. And it’s easier than you might think.
What You’ll Learn
After completing the work on this page, you will be able to:
- Know that happiness is a choice
- Recall that reflection and gratitude are integrally tied to happiness
- Realize that the expectations you have of others affects how you appreciate them
- Recognize what you are grateful for in the workplace and elsewhere in your life
- Know that there is beauty in everything, even the most awful things
Watch the Video
After watching the video, reflect on the following questions. Jot down your thoughts. Consider sharing this video with a colleague or a work group for an insightful discussion.
- Name one thing you are grateful for in your life. What does gratitude feel like to you? Name all of the emotions that are triggered in yourself when you reflect on something you are grateful for.
- Name one thing that challenges you. What is one positive thing that you can find related to your challenge? Can you name more than one positive thing? Reflect on your mindset now that you have identified something positive related to it.
- Choose one day this week and jot down everything you are grateful for in the workplace. Reflect on your mindset afterwards. Keep this list and revisit it from time to time. Consider sharing it with a colleague or your work team.
- 30-Day Challenge: Complete 30 days of daily gratitude. Jot down, take a photo, or otherwise capture one thing you are grateful for every day. When you are finished, share your results with at least one other person.
Here’s more to spark your thinking on this topic:
- Find more stories about the extraordinary power of gratitude on the website 365 Grateful.
- Discover the power of saying thank you in this short Ted Talk Remember to Say Thank You.
- Curious about the many benefits of gratitude? Check out the Happier Human article “31 Benefits of Gratitude You Didn’t Know About: How Gratitude Can Change Your Life.”