What is the connection between great leaders and great communicators? In this Forbes article, Mike Myatt explores 10 communication secrets of great leaders (plus a bonus one!) and reveals why “the message” has nothing to do with the messenger.
What You’ll Learn
After completing the work on this page, you will be able to:
- Recognize the role of external awareness in communication
- Recall the importance of spending time paving the way for a productive conversation
- Know that communication is not about you
- Comprehend 10 principles that enhance communication
After reading the article, reflect on the following questions. Jot down your thoughts. Consider sharing this article with a colleague or a work group for an insightful discussion.
- If the message has nothing to do with the messenger, then what is communication about? How does this concept align with your personal communication strategy?
- Reflect on each of the 10 principles for fostering excellent communication. Which of these are already inherent in your interactions with others? Which do you need to further hone?
- Choose one of the 10 principles and try it out for a week in your interactions with others. Reflect on the results.